Choosing an Electronic File Management System
Business document management software is a long-term investment. You can reasonably expect to rely on a solution for 5 to 10 years – potentially longer if you regularly receive new features through system updates.
When you’re choosing a records management system, you’ll want to prioritize:
- Software that can integrate with your current technologies. The premise of electronic file management is making your business information instantly accessible throughout your organization – and the best way to do that is to integrate your solution with your current technologies. This can be easier if you run on one of the major ERPs, but it can be more challenging if you use a custom system or a combination of platforms.
- Reliable and responsive support. From solution design through implementation and day-to-day use, you’ll need a vendor who can quickly answer your technical questions and resolve issues as they arise. With digital document management, a brief outage can limit your access to your critical data – making reliability incredibly important.
- Flexible, cross-departmental usability. Single-use solutions can be useful for smaller projects, but the highest ROI comes from enterprise software with multiple use cases. This is especially true for document archiving and data processing – functions that can benefit multiple business units across an organization.
When comparing document management companies, the technologies may be somewhat similar – but these considerations can help you find the best value for your project. You may also want to look for technical specifications such as:
- The ability to search through your document archiving system both directly and through your ERP
- The ability to access and process your business documents on a smartphone or tablet
- The ability to automatically capture, categorize, and process new files as they’re created in your ERP
- The ability to create custom workflows for each unique file type
Customize a File Management System for Your Company’s Needs
With IntelliChief, you can customize a solution that works the way that you work.
Our experts have helped hundreds of companies implement enterprise document management strategies across a wide range of industries – from manufacturing and distribution to insurance and healthcare. We’ve integrated our solutions with almost every ERP, and can help you update your technologies as your company grows.